Monday, October 4, 2010

Haughton Homecoming!

This past weekend was homecoming for Haughton High School, my old high school. How do I know this? I got stuck in the traffic for the parade. Every year, they have a parade Thursday night for the game on Friday. They close down half the town of Haughton to have it. Everyone gets to be in it, too. Danceline, cheerleaders, football players from elementary, middle, and high school.

I had made a quick trip to Dollar General to get wrapping paper for the present I bought for my fiancee's birthday. (An iPod shuffle! I was so excited to give it to him!) Since I couldn't get out of the parking lot, thanks to the parade, I decided to sit on my hood and watch by myself since it was only about 30 minutes long.

It was fun to watch and have all the memories come back after all these years. I used to ride the fire truck in the parade because I was on danceline through middle school and high school. I watched all the parents with their kids and started getting a bad case of BABY FEVER, thinking that I can't wait to bring my kids to the Haughton homecoming parade one day and tell them that I used to be in it every year. Hey, maybe I'll even see my own children in it one day.

But for now, I told my ovaries to be quiet because NO BABIES ALLOWED until I graduate from college. : )

Also, my fiancee, Andy, received his Associate's degree last year in Computer Science. He's just decided that he wants to start at LSUS and begin working on a bachelor's degree in Computer Science. I'm so excited that he's going back! I was always expected to go to college and graduate as a kid, but his parents didn't push him to excel at school so it feels like he's really done this on his own. I'm impressed by his motivation because there are definitely days when I want to quit school altogether. Hopefully I'll be able to help him out with some of the struggles that I had when I first started at LSUS.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, i remember the good ole days in high school. those was some good years. that is great you are standing by your fiancée while he is returning back to school. it is always good to know that you have support from the ones who love you. tell him to go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love our homecomings. Those were the days a kid could really become popular. Especially, if you could dance, play football, good in the band, or just looked good enough to become Homecoming King/Queen. It was a time when you got a chance to see which kid is wearing your old jersey and reminisce with old friends about the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you talk to your ovaries! Hahahaha!

    K. Smith
    Eng. 226

    ReplyDelete